How to create an awesome email signature in gmail

How many emails do you send out every week?

Most likely a fair few

But are you making the most of them?

With every email, you send out, you could be, and should be, encouraging the recipient to visit your online spaces.

An email signature is perfect for this!

It’s like a business card for your email.  You can include relevant info, and also update it really easily.

Today, I’m going to show you how to go about creating your email signature in Gmail.

Step 1

In your Gmail account, head over to settings (the little cog in the right-hand corner), in the drop-down menu, select settings.

Step 2

Scroll down until you come to an empty text box.  Make sure to check the little circle, so your signature will be visible.

So in this area, you can add any text or links that you would like to be featured at the bottom of any emails you send out.

You can include your name, website, phone number, newsletter sign up…anything you think would be relevant.

You can also add images…so this is where we’re going make your signature look awesome!!!

Step 3

Using your favourite graphic design software create a new document measuring 300 x 200px.

It’s a good idea to stay consistent with your business branding.  I added my logo, but you don’t have to, maybe you’d just like to use your brand colours.

Add your name, profession, and website.  I wouldn’t add too much info here as you don’t want it to become overcrowded.

You could also add an image of yourself to one side.

When you’re happy with your design save the image as a .png file.

Here’s what I decided to go with.

Step 4

Head back over to Gmail > Settings. In the text box click on the insert image option and upload your file.

Step 5

You can now add a link to the image if you want, I added my website.  Left click the image, below a little box will appear with the option to change | remove the link. Click changeAdd the link to the web address box, (it’s a good idea to test the link too, just in case).

Step 6

Scroll down and click save changes.  Click compose email, and check that you’re happy with the way it looks, you can also send a test email to yourself to see how it shows up.

That’s it!  Your info card will go out with all emails you send from now on.

Change it up as and when.

Check out this post to find out how to add clickable, social icons, in your brand colours.

I’ve also created a few resources that you might find helpful.  Head on over to the resource library to unlock cheatsheets and layout templates.

I hope you’ve found this helpful 🙂 Let me know in the comments if you add one to your email 🙂

20 Comments

1. Evelyn, PathofPresence

Thanks for this step by step guide. It really breaks it down and makes it easy to create something you can OWN. <3

• Lucie

Aww no problem Evelyn! I’m pleased you found it helpful 🙂 Thanks for checking it out.

2. Lucy

This is a great idea I currently have text in my email signature. I never thought of creating a graphic 💗

• Lucie

I’ve not seen many graphics in mail I’ve received, I’m super pleased with mine though. Thanks for checking it out 🙂

3. D'Ana Joi

This is super helpful! I’m still figuring out my whole logo situation, but I agree that using this space as an “email business card,” as you put it, is a great idea!

xo,
    Joi

• Lucie

Thanks Joi, it’s the perfect space for a bit of promo, and I think if it looks nice, it will attract more attention. Thanks for checking it out 🙂

4. Mj

Great insight! I never thought this is possible until now. I will definitely try this with my gmail!

• Lucie

That’s awesome MJ, thanks for checking it out 🙂

5. Nicole

I never thought about putting a signature in! Thanks for the idea!

• Lucie

No worries Nicole, super pleased you found it helpful:)

6. Stephanie

Thank you! This seems super easy to follow. I never know what dimensions to use, and had no idea how to create the signature in gmail.

• Lucie

I’m so pleased you found it helpful Stephanie!

7. Heather

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing. I love finding different ways to use Gmail to make my life easier.

• Lucie

Aww no problem Heather, yep me too! I’m always discovering new tools and tips.

• Lucie

Yay!!! I’m so pleased you found it helpful Emily!

8. Dianne @ WahmCafe

Love this idea! Thanks for the step by step to make it a lot easier 🙂

• Lucie

Aww no problem Dianne, I love things to be broken down, it makes them a lot less daunting.

9. Melissa

Thank you for this resource. I have never looked into creating a signature but I know it’s something I should do.

• Lucie

You know Melissa….I was really late to the party with it too, pleased I finally got it up there. I love seeing it on my outgoing mail!

Submit a Comment